It is no secret that trucks are the largest vehicle on the road. This also makes them the most dangerous in the event that they are operated negligently or face inclement weather conditions. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), winds that are greater than 25 miles per hour can impact a truck driver’s ability to control their vehicle. When a truck accident happens, it can severely injure many people. It is because of this that truck drivers need to be aware of these risks so they can work to mitigate the chances of an accident. Continue reading below to learn more.
What are Causes of Wind-Related Truck Accidents?
When strong winds occur, it can increase the odds of a truck being involved in an accident on the road. his may be in the event of any of the following:
- High crosswinds: A strong gust of wind can cause a truck to sway or tip on the road.
- Improperly loaded cargo: Cargo that is not loaded correctly can shift and unevenly distribute the truck’s weight, making the vehicle hard to navigate in high winds.
- Failure to take appropriate action for weather conditions: Truck drivers must be able to implement the right safety precautions according to the weather. This can include slowing to a safe speed, pulling over until conditions improve, planning an alternative route, etc.
What Types of Accidents are Caused by Strong Winds?
There are many different types of truck accidents that can be caused by strong winds, including the following:
- Rollover accidents: Wind can cause a driver to lose control and roll the vehicle over on its side.
- Underride accidents: Truck drivers who step on the brakes after being hit by wind can cause a closely following vehicle to crash and slide underneath the truck.
- Jackknife accidents: When a driver hits the brakes too hard, the truck can fold in on itself and form a 90-degree angle.
- Lost load accidents: Improperly loaded cargo can come loose and fall out of the truck onto the road.
What do I do if I’m Injured in a Truck Accident?
When a truck accident happens, it can cause serious and life-changing injuries as a result. It is because of this that the victims of these accidents may want to pursue legal action to recover compensation. This exists as coverage for any damages due to the accident. In order to receive it, the injured party must file a personal injury claim and prove that negligence directly caused their injuries. Evidence that can help prove this can include medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or video of the scene, witness testimonies, etc.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured as a result of a personal injury accident and wish to speak with an attorney, contact Ruben Law Firm today.