When people gather to celebrate the Fourth of July, these celebrations traditionally include exciting fireworks displays. While they are a fun way to celebrate the birth of the country, it is important to keep in mind that they can be very dangerous in the event that they are used improperly. It is because of this that it is important for all people handling fireworks to implement the right safety measures in doing so. Continue reading below to learn more about how this can be done.
What are Tips for Safe Preparation?
When people purchase their fireworks, they are often eager to set them off. While this is understandable, it is important to do so by following the right tips for a safe preparation to prevent an accident from happening. This can include the following:
- Do not buy fireworks that come in brown paper. They are professional fireworks that should not be used in small neighborhoods.
- Make sure adults are present and children are never accessing fireworks
- Keep water nearby, such as a hose, in the event that a fire starts
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never light fireworks in a glass or metal container
- Be sure that fireworks are legal in your area before buying them
- Keep your pets inside so they do not become scared or hurt
What do I Need to Know About Lighting Fireworks?
When the fireworks are safely set up, they can be ignited. However, in doing so, there are additional safety measures to be sure the fireworks are being set off properly. The following should be remembered during this time to prevent accidents:
- Wear eye protection at all times
- Only light one firework at a time
- Never light fireworks indoors
- Never light fireworks in your hand
- Be sure all spectators are at a safe distance away from the display
- Quickly back a safe distance away after lighting the display
- Do not throw or point fireworks at another person
- Never pick up and relight a firework if it did not properly combust
- After a firework goes off, wait 20 minutes then douse it with cool water
- Never consume drugs or alcohol while lighting fireworks
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured as a result of a personal injury accident and wish to speak with an attorney, contact Ruben Law Firm today.